The new Teravail Washburn is their fastest gravel tire yet…for the road
Teravail over the years has become a vast provider of gravel tires, not just for exploration but for racing as well. With the world of gravel rides at an all-time max, there is no better time for its latest tire – the Washburn.
The Washburn is a high-performance tire aimed at racers and explorers alike. it’s available in many different casing and size configurations, suitable for rough gravel and all-road riding. Designed for a ride that covers everything from rough pavement to fast gravel.
Like most other dry conditions gravel tires, the Washburn has progressive transition lugs and tall side lugs. The smaller lugs are spaced out to shed debris, crawl over gravel, and provide grip on larger rocks. The extra-large knobs should provide ample pedaling traction in soggy conditions and get you out of deep gravel pockets.
Where it differs is the completely smooth, contiguous center strip. This is what gives it it’s road-worthy capabilities without the drag (or noise) of micro knobs.
Light and Supple, or Durable?
The story of the Washburn is really two tires; Light and Supple, or Durable Bead to Bead protection. The 60TPI Durable casing features a robust woven nylon composite reinforcement. This is sandwiched between the outer rubber and the inner casing within the sidewalls to prevent tearing and abrasions without affecting the tire’s riding performance.
The 120TPI Light and Supple casing provides better ride quality and lighter weight, but flat protection is minimal compared with the later. The Light and Supple casing has a ride more like a tubular cyclocross tire and gobbles up the trail chatter. This casing is also more pressure-sensitive and runs excellent at lower pressures.
Like all Teravail tires, Washburn is available with a tan sidewall or standard black sidewall. The Washburn is tubeless-ready to reduce flats and provide greater traction and ride feel at low pressures. Check back for a full review as we take these tires through the paces.
Available sizes / Construction / Pricing:
- 700 x 38 Black sidewall, Durable-Bead-to-Bead $60 USD
- 700 x 38 Black sidewall, Light and Supple $55 USD
- 700 x 38 Tan sidewall, Durable-Bead-to-Bead $60 USD
- 700 x 38 Tan sidewall, Light and Supple $55 USD
- 700 x 42 Black sidewall, Durable Bead-to-Bead $60 USD
- 700 x 42 Black sidewall, Light and Supple $55 USD
- 700 x 42 Tan sidewall, Durable-Bead-to-Bead $60 USD
- 700 x 42 Tan sidewall, Light and Supple $55 USD
- 650 x 47 Black sidewall, Durable Bead-to-Bead $60 USD
- 650 x 47 Black sidewall, Light and Supple $55 USD
- 650 x 47 Tan sidewall, Durable Bead-to-Bead $60 USD
- 650 x 47 Tan sidewall, Light and Supple $55 USD