SDWorx continue to rule, with Chantal van den Broek-Blaak winning Strade Bianche
SDWorx once again flexed their muscles with former world champion Chantal van den Broek-Blaak winning a hugely entertaining Strade Bianche on Saturday.
The Dutch rider attacked her fellow escapee, Elisa Longo Borghini (Trek-Segafredo) on the steep climb of Via Santa Caterina, into the city of Siena. With the Italian champion dropped Van den Broek-Blaak was able to savour her ride into Piazza Il Campo, finishing seven seconds ahead of Longo Borghini.
SDWorx had dominated the race, with four women in a final group of 12, and it was world champion Anna van der Breggen who came in third, backing up last week’s win at Omloop Het Nieuwsblad.
With Demi Vollering in sixth place the team placed three women in the top ten.
Full report to follow.
Strade Bianche women elite, Siena – Siena (136km)
1. Chantal van den Broek-Blaak (Ned) SDWorx in 3-54-40
2. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) trek-Segafredo at 7 sec
3. Anna van der Breggen (Ned) SDWorx at 9 sec
4. Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Movistar at 11 sec
5. Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig (Den) FDJ-Nouvelle Aquitaine Futuroscope
6. Demi Vollering (Ned) SDWorx all at same time
7. Marianne Vos (Ned) Jumbo Visma at 23 sec
8. Marta Cavalli (Ita) FDJ-Nouvelle Aquitaine Futuroscope at 27 sec
9. Kasia Niewiadoma (Pol) Cannyon-SRAM at 30 sec
10. Ellen van Dijk (Ned) Trek-Segafredo at 32 sec