Primož Roglič plummets out of yellow jersey as Max Schachmann defends Paris-Nice title
After Mathieu van der Poel and Tadej Pogačar had lit up Tirreno-Adriatico, Primož Roglič said hold my beer as he provided a counterpoint at Paris-Nice, but the drama was at his expense as the Slovenian fell out of the yellow jersey on a crash-marred final stage.
Roglič fell once but got back into the peloton before he was suddenly caught on the wrong end of a split in a bunch, a second crash adding a second rip to his shorts and costing him dearly as Bora-Hansgrohe turned the knife to set things up for Max Schachmann, usurping Roglič to defend his title. The German started the day 52 seconds behind but after 90km of racing found himself in the yellow jersey, Roglič having lost three minutes on the day and dropping out of the top 10.
Magnus Cort (EF Education-Nippo) took the stage, winning the sprint from the reduced bunch, holding off Christophe Laporte to cross the line first.
More to follow…
Paris-Nice 2021, stage eight
1. Magnus Cort (Den) EF Education-Nippo, 2-16-58
2. Christophe Laporte (Fra) Cofidis
3. Pierre Latour (Fra) Total Direct Energie, both at same time
Final general classification
1. Max Schachmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe, in 28-49-51
2. Aleksandr Vlasov (Rus) Astana – Premier Tech, at 19 seconds
3. Ion Izagirre (Esp) Astana – Premier Tech, at 23s
4. Lucas Hamilton (Aus) BikeExchange, at 41s