Mikkel Honoré takes stage five of Tour of the Basque Country 2021 in amazing Deceuninck – Quick-Step one-two
Mikkel Honoré took stage five of the Tour of the Basque Country 2021 just ahead of his team-mate Josef Černy after holding off the peloton from the original breakaway.
Deceuninck – Quick-Step decided to use their numbers in the break as Josef Černy and Mikkel Honoré dropped all but one rider in Julien Bernard (Trek-Segafredo) on the final categorised climb of the day. They held off a fast descending Alex Aranburu and Omar Fraile (both Astana-Premier Tech).
The team-mates then used one of the small rises with 4km to go to drop Bernard with both Deceuninck riders attacking the Frenchman who held on for third ahead of the Daryl Impey (Israel Start-Up Nation) led peloton.
Brandon McNulty (UAE Team Emirates) stays in yellow going into the final stage of the race with Primož Roglič (Jumbo-Visma) 23 seconds down in second place.
Tour of the Basque Country 2021 stage five, Hondarribia to Ondarroa (160.2km)
1. Mikkel Honoré (Den) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, in 3-39-54
2. Josef Černy (Cze) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, at same time
3. Julien Bernard (Fra) Trek-Segafredo, at 17 seconds
General classification after stage five
1. Brandon McNulty (USA) UAE Team Emirates, in 16-05-43
2. Primož Roglič (Slo) Team Jumbo-Visma, at 23s
3. Jonas Vingegaard (Den) Team Jumbo-Visma, at 28s