21 riders were injured on stage 1 of the Tour de France
Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-QuickStep) won Saturday’s opening stage of the Tour de France in imperious style but the stage will be remembered as much for a couple of horrible crashes that brought much of the peloton down and sent many to hospital.
The first crash, with around 45 km to go, was caused by a spectator holding a sign out into the roadway. Tony Martin (Jumbo-Visma) hit the sign and then the ground, and most of the peloton followed. The second crash happened at high speed with less than 10 km to go and was even more significant.
Now that the dust has settled on stage 1 of the Tour, here are the riders that were injured on the day. According to the Tour’s official medical report, a total of 21 riders received notable injuries:
Riders injured in the first big crash:
- Mads Pedersen (Trek Segafredo)
- Dries Devenyns (Deceuninck-QuickStep)
- Xandro Meurisse (Alpecin-Fenix)
- Jan Bakelants (Intermarché-Wanty Gobert)
- Aurélien Paret Peintre (AG2R Citroën)
- Søren Kragh Andersen (DSM)
- Kristian Sbaragli (Alpecin-Fenix)
- Casper Pedersen (DSM)
- Jasha Sütterlin (DSM): Large hematoma to his wrist. Won’t start stage 2.
— Team DSM (@TeamDSM) June 26, 2021
Riders injured in the second big crash:
- Ignatas Konovalovas (Groupama-FDJ): Head trauma and loss of consciousness. Evaluated for concussion at hospital. Won’t start stage 2.
- Cyril Lemoine (B&B Hotels-KTM): Four broken ribs, collapsed lung, cut on scalp. Won’t start stage 2.
- Marc Soler (Movistar): Fractures to both arms. Won’t start stage 2.
- Chris Froome (Israel Start-Up Nation): Trauma to the hip and chest. Taken for scans.
- Casper Pedersen (DSM): Sent for scans. Wounds sutured.
- Ben O’Connor (AG2R Citroën): 10 stitches in his forearm.
- Mike Teunissen (Jumbo-Visma): X-rays on hip and an injured elbow.
- Marc Hirschi (UAE Team Emirates): Separated shoulder.
- Amund Grøndahl Jansen (BikeExchange): X-rays on lumbar spine and stitches in his elbow.
- Clément Russo (Arkéa-Samsic): Chest trauma.
- Reto Hollenstein (Israel Start-Up Nation): Chest trama.
- Daniel McLay (Arkéa-Samsic): Back X-rays.
So far, that’s four riders confirmed as non-starters for stage 2: Konovalovas, Lemoine, Sütterlin and Soler. We expect others will follow.